A Pledge of Fiscal Responsibility

(To be taken by candidates for federal office)

I pledge that, if elected, I will introduce legislation to establish:

1. A Balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution, with appropriate exceptions for times of war and recession.
  2. A line-item veto, to give the President a fighting chance to eliminate pork and earmarks.
  3. Term Limits, of any durations that are politically feasible.
  4. A tax system that is fair and simple.
  5. A limitation on federal spending, to 20% of GDP.
Author Information
10 Comments
  1. TomW says:

I hope your “pledge” catches fire. Good Luck.

2. Pete Coz says:

Great ideas! Implementation will be the key!

3. Dome says:

The line item veto is definitely doable. Maybe the constitutional amendment has a shot, if they came close to passing it in the 1990s as you said. It would still need ratification by the states.
    You’re probably dreaming on the other stuff, but I wish you luck. It’s hard to imagine any politician agreeing to term limits. Saying that you want to make the tax system simple is like saying that you want to bomb Washington.

4. Jean Ashmore says:

All of our politicians seem to be thinking only of themselves and getting money to get elected. Nothing else matters. Lobbyists are to be given whatever they ask. Just give me the money and I will give you what you want, the politician says. Also, please quit squabbling, forget about politics and think about the people who put you in office to act. Think about your morals. Think about your legacy. Will you be happy about what you did not do? Be honest. We need you.

5. John Smith says:

A line-item veto is absolutely necessary if we are ever to get out of this vicious cycle of debt. I like the website and I hope it gains as much attention as it deserves. I’ll try to get friends involved.

6. Atlanta says:

Your older posts have new comments. Some of them are quite long and well-reasoned. This site should be organized differently. I also think that some visitors would fail to recognize that you leave a comment by clicking on the tiny words “4 comments”.

7. KCL says:

Great concept – I’d love to see this in action!

8. Tim Nagir says:

Politicians are no longer serving the people. What happened in Mass with Scott Brown is a example of the people finally tiring of their elected officials not listening to the people. We are facing a looming tidal wave that most politicians are ignoring as they play their party games. Spending is out of control, debt is rising and yet still pork projects are being awarded without merit. The solution is a balanced budget amendment, a line item veto to eliminate congressional pork. I cannot bear the fact that we are burdening future generations with problems from our generation. We need to take responsibility for our situation instead of passing the buck (which will be worth a lot less if we keep printing money)and fix the fundamental problems with our fiscal situation.

9. crUSAder says:

RE: 1. Balanced budge amendment — there should be no exception for recessions. It is our insane attempt to spend our way out of recession right now that is scaring China, etc…. An exception for war should be limited to a defensive war in North America.

The rest are good ideas, but items like 3 and 4 are too vague and need to be fleshed out with specifics such as no more than 2 terms for any member of Congress, or the establishment of a flat tax with no deductions, credits, or exemptions.

10. Gen Y says:

What happened to leaving this country a better place for future generations? It seems to me we are doing just the opposite. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m completely on my own for my retirement, but watching these annual deficits creep up with no end in sight makes me feel like I’m throwing sand bags to hold back the flood from a rising river. I then wonder what the economy/country will be like when my 2 year old grows to be an adult.
    Let’s be honest with ourselves…as a nation we forgot the ideals of saving and became overly focused on consumption. Why save for something when I can just take the money out of my house? I recall my grandmother saving wrapping paper from Christmas presents, and keeping phone calls to 5 minutes. She had enough money to never worry about such things, but as a child of the depression her thoughts about spending/saving were shaped for the rest of her life. It seems each subsequent generation from the depression generation focused less and less on saving and instead lusted after new electronics and flashier cars. I’m even aware of my own habits compared to my parents…..like they say, recognizing you have a problem is the first step.

Despite my right leanings I understand and accept that I’ll have to help pay for the mess we are in, but until I’m confident that it won’t just lead to more wasteful spending I’ll keep it buried in my backyard.

Oh, and call me a cold SOB, but Healthcare is not a right, it is a luxury to those who can afford it. Yes there is a level of basic care; emergency care that needs to be extended, but that’s where it ends.